At the end of 1935 the construction of the best in the South of the USSR slag healer was completed at the Stalin Metallurgical Plant.
Healing properties of water obtained by wet granulation of slag had been known for a long time. Workers of the Ruhr plants, bathing in this water, noticed that it helps with rheumatism. But only in our country, where the care for people was in the center of attention, the construction of slagherapy clinics began.
In Stalino it was built in record time, for 10-11 months. The building was laid in early 1935, and already in November it was proudly erected, striking the beauty of decoration.
In the article “The beautiful offspring of the plant”, published in the “Socialist Donbass” newspaper, B.Hertz wrote: “We are entering the lobby. The sun looks in the wide windows, throws its rays onto the mirror-like surface of the marelite, plays with “rays” on the wide columns, trimmed with triplex, and throws itself onto the shiny corners of the parquet floor. Stylishly and tastefully placed upholstered furniture complements the comfort of the lobby. Long corridors stretch right and left.”
Vladimir Nikolayevich Speranskiy, the director of the medical center, showed the bathrooms, the hydropathic room, the electrotherapy room, and the doctors’ offices. Rheumatics, people with skin diseases, nervous system diseases, people with heart disease, etc. will be able to be treated here, – said the doctor.
Slakolechetnitsa had 13 baths, 2 hydropathic halls, a hall for electric light therapy and rest rooms. It was able to provide more than 1,000 different treatments per day, including 400 cinder baths.
Great attention was paid to the construction by the director of the plant Makarov. Well worked the chief of construction Rozhkov, architect Palch and sculptor Z.F. Makarenko.
Especially beautiful the facade with the sculptural group “Happy Family” of 4 figures 3 meters high looked. The sides of the facade were decorated with two figures of athletes: “Volleyball” and “Disco Ball” and two bas-reliefs on children’s themes.
The Health Resort was preparing to receive its first patients, who used to go to Pyatigorsk, Yeisk and Matsesta.
January 7, 1936 cinder clinic was opened. It was named after Sergo Ordzhonikidze.
During 11 months of its existence the resort treated more than 2500 patients. They were offered more than 340 thousand baths. Patients received and other procedures: massage, electric light therapy.
И. Entin in his article “At the factory Matsesta” notes the effectiveness of slag water treatment of some heart diseases (cardiosclerosis, myocarditis, hypertension) and chronic inflammatory female diseases. Slag baths gave good results in all forms of chronic joint and muscle rheumatism, sciatica, etc. Slag water was also used for treatment of gums.
Earlier it was believed that slag water contained some poisonous impurities. But an experience conducted by Professor Voynar showed that there were no poisonous impurities in slag water.
“At the Stalin Metallurgical Plant there is a physio-preventorium and a slag-health clinic. There are fresh baths, all kinds of showers, water massage, slag baths similar to the Piatigorsk sulfur springs, sulfur-hydrogen baths similar to the Matsestinsk ones, carbon dioxide baths, etc. There is a project of mud cure with special gynecologic department” – so wrote doctor B.Luker in his note “Resort near the plant”.
The hospital was really famous all over the city. By 1938 there were four perfect electro-svetokabinets with the perfect apparatus, laboratories with chemical and biochemical departments. There was also a special massage room.
The doctor wrote that at that time the cinder-house was located in a large garden, in favorable climatic conditions. And that is why the doctors raised the question of organizing a health resort at the Stalin Metallurgical Plant. The basis for this, of course, was. It was only necessary to implement a number of small measures.
The doctor thought that the administration of the plant should receive the building, which was adjoined to the hospital, for this purpose. Several rooms in this house were already occupied by the laboratory. Here you can organize a hospital for 40-50 beds. It is only necessary to expand the garden, plant new trees, build a pond for bathing with a solarium and a platform for solar heating of mud. Isn’t this the Yuzov-Svitsyn house we’re talking about?